Back to News

How will Brexit impact driving in Europe?

How will Brexit impact driving in Europe?

Posted on 13/03/2019

Paul Hemingway

Filed under Insurance

Anyone planning to take their vehicle to Europe after 29 March (the date the UK is due to leave the EU) is being urged to prepare for a no-deal Brexit.

Drivers are being encouraged to ensure they have the correct documents in place. Until new agreements with EU countries are finalised, drivers risk breaking the law without them.

Do I need a Green Card?

In the event of a no-deal, EU regulations state motorists need to carry proof of insurance with them in the form of a Green Card.

A Green Card is a document that proves a driver is insured when driving in any EU country, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia, Andorra or Liechtenstein.

Drivers should obtain a Green Card from their insurer one month before they travel, the Association of British Insurers (ABI) has warned.

If you’re a Forces Mutual Car Insurance policy holder and are planning to drive in Europe, make sure you contact us at least two weeks before you travel so we can get your Green Card issued in time.

The best way to get in touch is to call us on 00 800 00 01 02 03.

Those who travel without a Green Card may be breaking the law so it's always best to check with your car insurance provider before you travel.

You can find out more about Green Cards at the below links.

Association of British Insurers Motor Insurers Bureau

Will I need an International Driving Permit?

If you travel before 29 March 2019, you can use your UK driving licence to drive within the EU/EEA. If you drive outside of this area, or are travelling after the UK leaves the EU, you'll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).

It’s a recognised multi-language translation of your driving licence.

It costs £5.50 and you can buy it from the Post Office. You have to be over 18 and own a full driving licence to be able to apply for an IDP.

Although the minimum age for driving a car in the UK is 17, other countries may have their own rules so it's worth checking.

Driving without an IDP could result in you being fined or prosecuted. In addition you must carry your UK licence too.

You can find out more about IDPs at the below link.

International Driving Permits

Don’t forget, you can buy your car insurance with us online. Visit our Car Insurance page to find out more and get a quote today.