Back to News

Brexit and how it affects your Forces Mutual Travel Insurance arrangements

Brexit and how it affects your Forces Mutual Travel Insurance arrangements

Posted on 30/01/2020

Paul Hemingway

Filed under Travel

The UK is scheduled to leave the EU on 31 January 2020. Travel to and from the UK could be affected.

It is possible that you might experience delays at exit/entry points, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may no longer be valid in all EEC countries and you should check before you travel, and entry requirements to EU countries may differ.

Please find below information around the specific cover under your Forces Mutual Travel Insurance and also general travel advice and information.


Forces Mutual Travel Insurance

(Underwritten by Ageas Insurance Limited)


Am I covered for Brexit?

Depending on what has caused your financial loss/need to claim, there may be cover under your travel policy to protect you. Currently the full impact of the UK leaving the EU without a deal in place is not known. However, the sections of cover under your policy that may be relevant are the Missed Departure, Delayed Departure, and Emergency Medical and Other Expenses sections. In the event of travel disruption caused by Brexit, primary responsibility for offering travellers alternative transport or refunds rests with the airlines and travel companies, so in the first instance you should contact your travel provider.

Will my travel insurance still be valid in the EU?

Yes, your travel insurance will still be valid. Your cover will remain the same and you will receive exactly the same service and care should you require emergency medical treatment whilst you are in an EU country.

What if I’m delayed getting to my transport because of long queues?

Missed Departure cover only applies in certain circumstances, for example if those circumstances lead to you arriving at your international or final departure point too late to board your booked transport.

The circumstances covered do not include if you are delayed because of long queues. As longer queues are expected, you should make sure you take this into account and leave enough time in your travel plans.

What if my transport is delayed or cancelled?

You will be covered if departure of the public transport on which you are booked to travel is delayed. Either at the final departure point from or to your normal country of residence or at the departure point of any onward connecting public transport to your overseas destination (or on the return journey to your normal country of residence) for at least 12 hours from the scheduled time of departure for a reason that you or the tour operator cannot control. You are eligible to claim payment of £20 for each full 12 hours delay up to a maximum of £100, or up to £4,000 for any irrecoverable unused travel and accommodation costs and other pre-paid charges if after a minimum 12 hours has elapsed you choose to cancel your trip before departure from your normal country of residence.

In the event of travel disruption you should contact and follow the recommendations of your transport provider.

If I need medical treatment abroad, can I still use my EHIC?

If the UK leaves the EU on 31 January 2020 in the absence of a specific agreement to say otherwise, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may no longer apply in all EEC states. This makes it even more important that you have appropriate travel insurance in place to cover medical costs while you are travelling in an EU country, in the same way as you would when travelling to a non-EU country. As the EHIC will no longer be valid, should you have to make a medical expenses claim, an excess of £25 will apply to your claim (this was previously waived if an EHIC was used).

If EHIC will no longer be valid, will we go back to the E111?

No, they are the same thing. The E111 became the EHIC in 2006. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, there will be no equivalent or alternative to the EHIC. The only way for travellers to protect themselves against costs for medical treatment is to take out travel insurance.

Can I still get compensation from my airline if my flight is delayed or cancelled?

Yes. According to the CAA, the rights to compensation under the EU Flight Compensation Regulation will continue to apply to passengers departing from the United Kingdom to an airport situated in the territory of an EU Member State, as long as the airline has an operating license granted by an EU member state. You can find more information about your rights and how to make a claim on the CAA website:

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

The European Commission have confirmed that from 2021, UK citizens would have to pay €7 for a travel permit, as part of the European Travel Information and Authorisation Scheme (ETIAS). Travellers will register their details and pay the fee in advance of travel (at least 72 hours prior to departure is advised), to obtain ETIAS authorisation.

Is my passport still valid?

Yes, however for travel after 31 January 2020 the government is recommending that UK travellers have at least six months left on their passports from the date of arrival in an EU country.

If a ten year adult passport was renewed before it expired, extra months may have been added, which do not count towards the required six months remaining.

You may wish to renew your passport sooner rather than later, in order to make sure you have it in time for your holiday or travel plans.

Any other questions?

If you have any other questions or require any further information about your travel insurance you can contact us on 0151 363 5290.